|Specialized Recalls 2001 Hemi BicyclesThis is a recall advisory regarding the following 2001 Specialized models:|
2001 Hemi Pro 12” Boys Red
2001 Hemi Fastgirl 12” Girls Pink
This recall and corrective action is being conducted by Specialized, in conjunction with the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, in order to reduce the chance of serious personal injury. If you have not done so already, stop selling these models immediately and remove them from the sales floor. Following up on reports from the field, Specialized has determined that approximately 3500 units of 2001 Specialized Hemi 12” boys and girls model bicycles assembled and shipped by Acetrikes were built with a main frame that could break apart. This is a potential serious safety issue. You can identify the affected model year of the bicycle by the color, Team red for boys, and pink for the girls.
Specialized, in conjunction with the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, is undertaking this voluntary corrective action plan, which will be monitored by the Commission for effectiveness, in order to avoid potential serious injury to bicycle riders.
What Specialized has done:
1. Specialized has notified the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, and is working with Commission staff regarding this corrective action.
2. Specialized has stopped shipment of affected product.
3. Specialized has notified Acetrikes.
4. Specialized has appointed a Corrective Action Coordinator, 1-800-214-1468 and fax 1-800-889-2006.
5. Specialized has faxed a Stop Selling Notice, dated 6/6/01, to all Authorized Specialized Dealers.
6. Specialized has prepared for each dealer that has received affected models, a corrective action package that includes a Dealer Advisory, a recall poster, consumer post cards, and a Consumer Contact Log Sheet (s).
What Specialized will do:
1. Specialized will issue a credit of $110.00 (MSRP) for every Hemi 12” bicycle returned.
What you should do:
1. If you have not done so already, stop selling 2001 Specialized Hemi 12” boys and girls model bicycles and remove them from your sales floor.
2. Check your sales records and promptly identify all consumers that have purchased an affected bicycle and mail them one of the enclosed post cards.
3. Once a consumer returns a bicycle to your store, please give them a store credit or replacement bicycle of equal value.
4. Note the replacement or credit of the consumer’s bicycle by filling out the Consumer Contact Log. For in stock units, fill out the Consumer Contact Log by noting in the Customer Name column “stock unit” and recording the bicycle model, size, color and serial #.
5. When all your customers that purchased the affected model have returned their bicycles, fax the completed Consumer Contact Log to Specialized at 1-800-886-2006, for a Return Material Authorization number (RMA#).
6. Cut the Head Tube from the frame, write the RMA# on the head tube, and place the head tube area of the frame into your Monthly Warranty Return box for credit.
Please call the Specialized Recall Task Force at 1-800-214-1468 if you have any questions, or if we can be of any assistance. We offer our complete support to you in rectifying this situation. We apologize for, and hope to minimize any inconvenience this may cause. This is a serious safety issue! Specialized will require 100% compliance with this process. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and assistance in this important safety issue.www.specialized.com