Nice bike for the money On: 2010-11-02
Bike arrived in just two days. Box was damaged and rear derailleur was sticking out, but did not appear to be damaged. There were no assembly instructions. The owners manual has no useful information specific to this model bike. You will either have to be familiar with and comfortable working on bikes, or take it to a bike shop for assembly and adjustment. Once I got it assembled and the brakes and gears adjusted, it was fine and seems to be a good value.
Excellent purchase On: 2010-10-31
I am very pleased with bike, not so much with shipment, because it took too long, but bike worth it, i love it!!! looking for the same name brand bike for my wife.
Good bike for the price On: 2010-10-27
I have no complains thus far about the bike. Suspension is a little stiff compared to previous bikes I have owned but you get used to it. The only real complaint that I can think of is a rattling in the rim. The rims are kinda thick and there is a hollow space within them. I deflated the tire and was able to remove the tip of a broken drill bit about the diameter of the valve stem. I found it to be hilarious.
"Good Enough", Entry Level Mountain Bike On: 2010-10-20
I am very new to mountain biking, and only got into it because of this bicycle. I have never taken bikes off road until I got this GMC Topkick (In reality, this is made by Pacific Cycles - cheap department store level of quality, for the most part). For a novice like myself, initially the bike seemed fantastic. As I continue to progress into the sport, the shortcomings of this bike are becoming very apparent, however, it is only a ~$300 bike. So, to be concise and to the point, here is my take on it:
- Decent enough construction quality
- Perfect place for this bike is on city streets, negotiating potholes and other like hazards
- Comfortable seat
- Good looking bike
- Disk breaks that work very well! - few offer disk breaks at this price point
- Sharp and responsive rear derailleur
- TERRIBLE front derailleur (no matter how many bike pros have tuned it, the chain rubs on the derailleur and the derailleur fails to shift downward often) NOT trail-worthy derailleur at all
- Handle bar height cannot be adjusted - I had to purchase a stem extender, as the default posture for the bike is very uncomfortable.
- The inter-tubes of the bike are what are called "Aero" design, meaning that they are a deep V. This is fine except that very few bike shops carry these, so carry a patch kit with you
- This is a HEAVY bike and even on smooth pavement, you have to work hard to keep it moving (I see this as a PRO overall, as it is a good workout in my opinion)
- CHEAP pedals that start to click and clank after a few runs on the trail
- The suspension is just good enough to handle smaller bumps and potholes, but is not really meant for jumps, rocks, roots
- I have been having a blast riding this bike on an intermediate-level mountain bike trail for 3 months now (probably 20 or so trail outings). I make sure not to take jumps that are any more that 1.5 feet tall, and I have to plan ahead for when I want to shift gears with the front derailleur (it does not respond when you need it, regardless of how well tuned it is).
- However, for $300 or so, this is a good enough bike. Yes, I do get passed frequently on the trail by guys on lighter, "real" mountain bikes, but for a beginner like myself this is a perfect tool to get into the sport and figure out what it is I am looking for in my next, "real" mountain bike.
- If you are going to use it as commuter bike, it is fantastic, provided you get the handle bar height where you want it and are willing to push a bit harder to get it moving.
- This bike made me understand that when it comes to mountain biking, price and quality are highly correlated.
Great Value Good Product On: 2010-10-16
This was a good deal on a full suspension mountain bike. The component group isnt top end but it seems to be of good functional quality I cant comment on the durabillity as Ive only had it for a week. It bike arrived and the box was not damaged, upon opening and inspecting the bike was in perfect condition. For anyone with basic hand tools and some knowledge of mechanics the assembly process isnt that difficult and takes about an hour. Adjusting the drivetrain is something that is beyond most average people so I suggest the if you are not up to to the task take the assembled bike to a local shop and have them "tune" it for you. All in all this is a good value and a great deal for anyone wanting a true full suspension mountain bike!!
GMC Topkick mountain Bike On: 2010-10-15
Ordered from Amazon.com and received in less than 4 days. Package arrived in great condition with no issue. Although no instruction were provided for assembly, it was not a problem to put it together in less than 45 minutes as it came in major pieces already assembled.
Like other reviewers already pointed out, tires is more suited for off-road and will recommend spending the extra money and replace with more comfortable road tires if you want to use it mainly around town.
Overall a solid, well-built bike for the price and I will recommend for others
AWESOME BIKE On: 2010-10-15
I searched Amazon for quite awhile looking for the best bike for the money and this is by far the best one on their site for the price. Dual suspension, dual disc brakes, quick disconnect tires, easy one pull adjustable height on the seat and much more all for under $200.00. Plus great looking. I read a few negatives about assembly and Im at a loss because it was simple and Im not a bike expert. All you need is an allen wrench an adjustable wrench and about 15 minutes. I guess some people thought the handle bars were backwards. The company packs the bike in the box with the front forks turned inwards and the handle bars are not attached, I guess people dont know you have to face the front forks out and then attach the handle bars. Once assembled there were no adjustments required. I dont see any reason for instructons as the few pieces not attached can only go in the obvious places, seat, handle bars, pedals and front tire everything else is assembled. Great Bike! You wont find a better one for the price.
Fantastic! On: 2010-10-06
Not sure why people have issues with this bike...
Bought this for my 14 year old little brother.
He had it opened and put together in close to a half an hour.
We looked at close to 100 different bikes both online and in store, this was the best deal available.
For something with similar quality and durability you are looking at paying closer to $800-$1000.
To heck with Specialized, this bike is A-FREAKING-MAZING!
Assembly instructions were available, but he didnt even need to use them.
Adjusting all parts was a breeze... Not sure why weight was a problem, this bike is actually pretty light considering all the suspension. Aluminum frame and disk brakes a huge plus.
The only down side that we can find were the grips, but for $20 bucks at the bike shop walla! an $800 bike for $200. I would highly recommend this product to anyone looking!
Privacy | Submit News |
Corrections | Contact Total Bike
Copyright 1998-2013 Totalbike.com All Rights Reserved